Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Voice Behind the Words


            Despite what you might assume, MLK Day means more to me than just a day off of school. The Friday before our annual three-day weekend, my high school principal talked to us about why Martin Luther King Jr. is such an important figure in our country’s history. She talked about how MLK paved the way for freedom fighters to come, relating his work with the Civil Rights Movement to the present-day Gay Rights Movement. While I respected my principal for getting up to the podium and bringing up this relevant point, I hoped that MLK Day was not exclusively a holiday for the oppressed. In a sense, MLK fought for his right to be a role model for everyone, and not just for the people who share his skin color. I think Dr. King would be happy to know that in 2013, a black man could be my hero too.
            There are many reasons why MLK can be a hero to everyone. He proves to me that one individual can change the world around them. Without the use of violence, MLK was able to get his point across with such power and force that the world around him had to listen. And Dr. King did this through words. Not only his distinct choice of words, but also the way in which he said them created a legacy that is still around today.
This idea that words can be spoken out loud, and then generate a lasting impression is one of the reasons why I love screenwriting. While the motives behind MLK’s speeches and a good chick flick are very different, the words that make them are similarly used to create a desired effect.
However, the way in which you say a particular word alters the effect that it creates. Inflection alone can change a pleasantry into a snarky remark. So, in honor of MLK Day, I am going to do something that I have never done on this blog before. Below is a video of me reading a poem I wrote. This poem was inspired by one of my favorite poets, Matthew Rohrer. Although I don’t have the deep, soulful voice that carried MLK’s beautiful speeches, I hope you like it!

            MOVIES WATCHED: 19
            SCREENPLAY PAGES WRITTEN: 44
            NOVEL PAGES WRITTEN: 73

No comments:

Post a Comment