Thursday, November 29, 2012

Things I Know Now


            One piece of advice that I’ve always struggled with is “write what you know”. Now I’m sure J.K. Rowling didn’t “know” what it’s like to be an orphaned wizard, and J.R.R. Tolkien has never been a hobbit, but look how it turned out for them. I’ve always thought that there is something admirable in creating another world with just a laptop and some Times New Roman font. And in a way, both J.K. Rowling and J.R.R. Tolkien were writing about something that they knew, if not literally then maybe metaphorically. I would also agree that if you plan to write a textbook on the history of World War 2, then by all means do a little research first so that you are “writing what you know”, as opposed to spewing false statements and your own, biased opinions.
            Despite my wariness towards this overused advice given to young writers, today I went out and wrote what I knew. Exactly what I knew. In a very romantic gesture, I sat in a coffee shop (albeit a Starbucks), and eavesdropped shamelessly. Nine times out of ten, I believe I would have overheard conversations about homework or grocery lists or which in-law was hosting Christmas dinner this year. However, today I became Starbuck’s very own Bob Woodland or Carl Bernstein, even if the stakes were nowhere near as high as they were when uncovering the Watergate Scandal. So here goes scene #2, nonfiction at its peak in the life of Carolyn Mazanec.
SCENE AT A COFFEE SHOP

INT. COFFEE SHOP -- MIDAFTERNOON

Feminine hands hold up a book at a small round table in the corner of a coffee shop. This is CAROLYN. Although you can’t see her face, you know she is bored. She crosses and uncrosses her legs, then shifts the book to her right hand and takes a sip of coffee with the other.

DAN, JAMIE, and KYLIE enter and sit at the table in front of Carolyn. They are all wearing Hawaiian shirts and have red nametags on. Carolyn is facing Dan, while Jamie and Kylie sit with their back to her.

               DAN
Okay, so Jamie told me that she saw you grab a fistful of twenties from her drawer, and she was concerned. What happened?

Dan is overweight and has thinning gray hair. He rests his elbow on the table and holds his face with his hand. Dan does not want to be here.

               KYLIE
I was on my computer when I saw that a few of the drawers needed refilling. Jamie was busy, so I thought I’d help her out. I went to go get the money from her drawer – which was unlocked — and that’s when Jamie saw me.

Kylie is wearing a black hoodie and has matching hair that looks like it’s been dyed.

          DAN
But I don’t understand. Has it ever been a part of your job to refill the drawers?

          KYLIE
No, you’re right. I wasn’t thinking, and in hindsight I shouldn’t have tried to help but Jamie was busy and...

DAN
The fact that Jamie left her drawer unlocked is another issue, and I’ll deal with that later. But do you understand how this looks?

ANGLE Jamie’s face, she looks into her lap and doesn’t say anything. Close up we can see an upper lobe earing and tacky pink eye shadow. SMASH CUT TO:

               KYLIE
Yes, I understand how this looks. I was just having a bad week, and the holidays were stressful and I wasn’t’ thinking.

          DAN
     (frowning)
What I don’t understand is why you would grab the twenties when you know that drawers are only refilled with ones, fives, and tens, which are always bound together, and you grabbed the loose twenties--

          KYLIE
     (interrupts)
Right; I accidentally grabbed the twenties and was in the process of putting them back when Jamie walked in.

Beat.

          KYLIE (CONT’D)
I was on autopilot, I--

          DAN
     (interrupts)
Now see that doesn’t make sense. When someone says they’re on autopilot, they’re doing something that they normally do without thinking. But when has a part-timer ever taken money from a full-timer’s drawer? It doesn’t make sense.

          KYLIE
Well sometimes when a full-timer opens their drawer, they ask if anyone needs to be refilled.

DAN
But Jamie wasn’t asking.

          KYLIE
Right, right. What I meant by autopilot was that I wasn’t thinking, just going through the motions.

          DAN
But see right there, that doesn’t make sense.

          KYLIE
It was just that it’s right after the holidays and it’s been a hard week for me and...

          DAN
     (interrupts)
No, it doesn’t make sense.

The three get awkwardly silent. Jamie looks like she’s about to say something, but then stares at Kylie and is quiet again. Dan looks up and notices Carolyn for the first time. They share eye contact, and for the first time we see Carolyn’s face. She’s young and embarrassed to be caught listening in.

               DAN
     You, over there.

Carolyn points to herself and Dan grunts. Carolyn takes this as confirmation that he is talking to her.

               DAN
Say you owned a shop, and one of your employees caught another employ taking a fistful of twenties from the register. What would you do?

          CAROLYN
     (stutters)
I don’t know.

          DAN
Don’t be shy.

Dan waves her to their table and Carolyn gets up, leaving her coat at her table. She thinks about going back for her coffee, but decides against it. Then, Carolyn pushes up her sleeves, but they don’t stay up; it’s obvious that Carolyn feels uncomfortable.

               DAN
     What would you do?

Kylie stares at Carolyn with a menacing look in her eyes. Carolyn quickly looks away.

               CAROLYN
          (quietly)
Well, you can’t really prove someone’s intentions one way or the other.

          DAN
     (intrigued)
I suppose that’s true.

          CAROLYN
But on the other hand it doesn’t seem like you trust her. So I guess I wouldn’t want an employee who I don’t trust.

Carolyn stares at her hands, afraid to look up. Jamie drums the table, and you can tell that nobody wants to be a part of this conversation anymore.

               DAN
     Okay, thank you. Hope the book is good.

Dan points to her table and Carolyn nods, taking her cue to leave.

ANGLE We watch Carolyn pack her book into a plastic bag and grab her coat. Over her shoulder, we hear Dan pushing back his chair.

               DAN
Why don’t you go home for now Kylie and I’ll call you once I decide what to do about this.

Carolyn quickly pushes in her chair and exits quickly. It screeches on the tile floor.

FADE TO BLACK.
     MOVIES WATCHED: 1
            SCREENPLAY PAGES WRITTEN: 9
            NOVEL PAGES WRITTEN: 46
            PAGES LEFT IN ATONEMENT: 121
            PAGES LEFT IN HOW TO WRITE A SELLING 
            SCREENPLAY: 238
   PAGES LEFT IN MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR
   PECULAR CHILDREN: 314

No comments:

Post a Comment