Monday, July 29, 2013

My Big Fat Title Ego

            I have to say, lately I’ve been pretty pleased with my subconscious casting director. After John Krasinski’s appearance in my dream last week, Sarah Hyland, or better known as Modern Family’s Haley Dunphy, starred in a dream I had about a pool. In this dream, a group of pre-teen girls were playing truth or dare at the community pool in their apartment complex. For those of you who have been keeping tabs on my scenes, I think this one might have the best title. (Which isn’t saying much, considering the last title was John Krasinski Scene.)
            At first, I was going to call this scene, “The Pool”. Short, sweet, and easy to interpret. These short titles have been catching my eye lately, especially since I’ve been watching a lot of The Office and The League lately (both hilarious shows by the way). These titles are easy to say, easy to remember, and easy to tweet about when you’re only allotted 140 characters on Twitter. However, I wasn’t totally satisfied with “The Pool”.
            And then I thought of “The Complex”. Initially, I was referring to the apartment complex that this scene takes place. But then I thought about how many different directions I could go with a title like “The Complex”. Since this is a story about a teenage girl, it wouldn’t be hard for me to leap to the psychological and explore any mental complexes that our lead, Sarah Hyland, might have.
            Now, I’m not just writing about this to virtually pat myself on the back. So far, all of my scenes have been just that: scenes. However, I’ve become so attached to this title that I might continue the idea into a bigger story. So get excited! Fingers crossed, I might have my first finished screenplay to post soon. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves; here’s the first scene. Enjoy!
THE COMPLEX

EXT. SWIMMING POOL — DAY

THREE GIRLS sit on the edge of a pool, their feet dangling in the water. AN OLD LADY SNORES from a pool chair in the corner. THEY are surrounded by apartment buildings.

CARMEN, the eldest of the girls, stands up, her feet curled over the edge, and looks down. She’s wearing a light brown bikini and has long dark hair.

CARMEN’S P.O.V.: Through the ripples in the water, CARMEN can see her own reflection. She dives in, and the water SPLASHES. THE OTHER GIRLS follow.

After a while, the water becomes still.

CASEY: This is boring.

CASEY SMACKS the surface of the water with her hand.

TONI: We could play sharks and minnows.

TONI is clearly the youngest in the group. SHE swims to the side of the pool to hold on.

CASEY: No that’s lame, isn’t it Carmen?

CARMEN is uninterested, looking in another direction.

CARMEN: yeah.

TONI: Or we could play Marco Polo.

CASEY SNORTS, but CARMEN isn’t listening.

CARMEN: What?

CASEY: What do high-schoolers do for fun, Carmen?

CARMEN: I don’t know, I haven’t started yet.

CASEY: Adrian’s sister said that they always play truth or dare.

TONI: I know that game!

CASEY: But like, the dirty kind.

CARMEN: The dirty kind?

CASEY: Yeah, like Carmen, truth or dare?

CARMEN: Truth.

CASEY: No one ever picks truth, that’s so lame.

CARMEN: Fine, dare.

CASEY stops to think for a second, and then smiles.

CASEY: I dare you to jump get out of the pool with out your bikini top on.

TONI: I can do that!

TONI lifts up her bikini top to reveal the flat chest of a ten-year-old. Her ribs jut out as she puffs out her chest.

CASEY: No one cares, Toni. You don’t have any boobs.

CARMEN helps TONI retie her bikini top.

CARMEN: Fine.

CASEY: Fine?

CARMEN: I’ll do it.

CASEY SAYS something, but CARMEN ducks her head under the water.

ZOOM IN: CARMEN’s eyes are closed tight under the water, and her hands are behind her back, untying her bikini top.

CARMEN’s tan bikini top floats on top of the water and CARMEN walks up the steps in the shallow in. SHE pulls at her bikini bottom, and all we can see is her backside.

ZOOM IN: CARMEN’s toes curl around the edge of the pool again.

THE OLD LADY is still SNORING in her chair, oblivious to what’s going on.

CASEY’s mouth is wide open, and CARMEN smiles. However, just as SHE’s about to jump in, we hear a CLICK. CARMEN turns to see A GROUP OF BOYS with their phones out. Embarrassed, SHE jumps back into the water, and the SPLASH masks the sound of the BOYS SNICKERING.

            SCREENPLAY PAGES WRITTEN: 59

            NOVEL PAGES WRITTEN: 90

No comments:

Post a Comment