Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My Piggyback Story


            Last week, I blogged about Miley Cyrus’s newest song, “We Can’t Stop.” For those of you who don’t remember what I said about it, here’s a recap: Although “We Can’t Stop” seemed shallow on the surface, the song’s underlying message was that by choosing not to care about what other people think, you can control your own image. In addition to defending Miley’s latest work, I also mentioned that her lyrics inspired my next story idea. So here it is…
            Lyrics such as “this is our house and this is our rules” and “we run things things don’t run we” made me feel this rush of confidence and power. It was aggressive and dominating and brilliant. When she sang, “can’t you see it’s we who own the night,” I imagined this pack of girls who radiated so much confidence that they could intimidate within a first glance. Miley indirectly proposed the question: Who owns the night? And in my mind, it’s these girls. Maybe you’ve met them before, or their type. They are the girls that girls love to hate.
            Then I thought, what if a girl owned the night, but not the day? Now I know I’m reading WAY too much into Miley Cyrus’s lyrics, but go with me for a second here. What if there was a shy, under-confident girl who spent the daytime being ordered around by everyone else, but then adopted a new persona when the night came? And what if, by the end of the story, you are rooting for her to completely take on this new persona and leave her day-life behind? Sparked by Miley’s words, I became fascinated with this idea of control and how one gets it.
So, with no further ado, here is the first scene that I came up with. It’s in third person, which I’ve never really gravitated towards, so I might experiment with using different perspectives. But here it is, anyways. Enjoy!
            Matilda slips on her black thong and stands up. She pulls down her black dress and grabs her black purse.
            “You sure you don’t want to stay the night?”
            “That’s not how this works.” Matilda flips her straight black hair over her shoulder and smiles at George, but only for a second.
            “Then at least let me drive you home.” George rolls over and grabs his car keys off the bedside table. His elbow bumps the glass of water and it shatters on the floor. Without flinching, Matilda slips on her black boots and zips them up.
            “Goodnight Mr. Wesley.” Matilda flicks the light switch and shuts the hotel door. She doesn’t look back. George tries to get some sleep, but the click of her footsteps echoes down the hall, so he sits up. His belly hangs over his boxer shorts and he exhales into his palm: booze and nachos.
            The bathroom’s small, but George leans against the wall and pulls a toothbrush and toothpaste out of his duffle bag. The mirror glares at him, and he thinks: This is George Terrance Wesley. Bags under his eyes weigh down his face and blue foamy toothpaste sits on the corner of his mouth. A yellow cab grabs his attention outside and he walks to the window, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.
            Outside, a blonde girl stuffs a black wig into her black purse before stepping into the cab and riding off. George sighs, climbs back into bed, and goes to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment