Friday, December 7, 2012

Birds Do It, Bees Do It... Why Genre Stereotypes Are Okay


            After watching Midnight in Paris, I felt the need to tiptoe without shoes on. There was something so delicately beautiful about the movie that I wanted it to resonate in silence afterwards. In addition to this, I also felt the need to listen to some more songs by Cole Porter. Midnight in Paris is like the twenties-era mistress that it portrays; the film captivates you, draws you in, and then leaves you in this state of reflectiveness. As we fade out with Owen Wilson walking in the rain, a major theme throughout the movie, I fell in love with Woody Allen’s alternate reality.
            Before watching this film, I have to admit that I was a Woody Allen virgin. The name has always sounded familiar to me, but now I can finally ground it. If Woody Allen were a balloon, and I wanted to ground it, then I guess that makes Midnight in Paris the string. To keep up with the metaphor, Midnight in Paris made for a good string in that it truly showed me why Woody Allen has received all this recognition. It also showed me that he deserves it.
            Allen tells the story of a man named Gil Pender, who has two loves in his life: Adriana, Pablo Picasso’s girlfriend, and his image of the past. He’s also married, but throughout the movie it seems obvious to the audience, if not to Gil himself, that he never really loved his fiancé, Inez. In this modern twist on Cinderella, Gil gets into a car at the strike of midnight and is taken ninety years back in time to meet all of his intellectual heroes, some of who include Ernest Hemmingway, Pablo Picasso, Gertrude Stein, and both of the Fitzgeralds. Although I’ve never been particularly fascinated by the “classics”, I couldn’t help but get excited as Gil, played by Owen Wilson, reacted to each of these great influences on his life.
            When I figured out that the story was about time travel, I immediately thought of the plot structure that seems to shape the “genre”: protagonist travels to a different time, thinks he or she is crazy, begins to accept the new environment, doesn’t want to leave, realizes that he or she is tempering with human history, eventually decides to return to the present, but then makes a necessary life shift upon returning. Movies that follow this predictable timeline include Pleasantville, starring Tobey Maguire, Back to the Future, movies 1, 2, and 3, and even Disney’s own Minutemen. Midnight in Paris is no different. However, Woody Allen’s take on the time travel “genre” made me realize that it’s predictability was not a weakness, but a strength. By playing to our expectations, Allen allows us to appreciate the little things that make this movie so dynamic. For example, each character that we are introduced to is wildly unique, and makes for entertaining dialogue that flows easily. Also, the 1920s sets in this movie felt authentic, despite the fact that I have neither been to Paris nor lived in the twenties.
            In contrast to many other time travel movies, Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris is able to get the message across without creating sappiness or beating us over the head with it. As Gil realizes why he must get back to 2010, we feel that we come to this profound realization with him: that every generation is displeased with the present, and therefore our idealization of the past is only a manifestation of our current unhappiness. I particularly liked how this point is made when Gil is on a “double time loop”, so to speak, when he and 1920’s Adriana go back to the 1890’s. It’s always nice when the protagonist has someone in the movie who recognizes “time travel”, and doesn’t think he or she is delusional.
            My favorite twist in the movie is when he goes back to the future and leaves his fiancé instead of trying to fix their problems. Due to the negative portrayal of Inez, I suppose I always knew they weren’t going to end up together, but I was relieved when it happened none-the-less. With time-warping movies, I notice a tendency in the plot structure to come back to the present with an It’s A Wonderful Life mentality, both literally and allegorically. You expect the time traveler to come back and be thankful for what they do have. In a scene with Adriana in the 1890’s, Woody Allen creates this moment when Gil rattles on about antibiotics. (Adriana’s blank expression also made for a funny scene as well.) But overall, Gil is not thankful for his life in the present. Instead, his journey to the past prodded him to change his lifestyle in the present. Unassuming Gil is suddenly transformed in a man who is willing to finally stand up to his fiancé and be the person he’s always wanted to be.
            While I normally see Owen Wilson as “the ultimate funny guy”, a title given to him by my adoring mother, along with many other woman I’m sure, I thought that Wilson’s transition to Drama was very much like Gil’s transformation; smooth and successful. Maybe it’s the southern accent, but Wilson led this story in a genuine manner that mirrored Allen’s genuine script.
            MOVIES WATCHED: 6
            SCREENPLAY PAGES WRITTEN: 16
            NOVEL PAGES WRITTEN: 60
            PAGES LEFT IN MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR
            PECULIAR CHILDREN: 170
            PAGES LEFT IN THE HOURS: 178

No comments:

Post a Comment