Monday, December 17, 2012

How to Judge a Flop


            Yesterday, I completed another blogger “first”. Instead of watching a movie in the comfort of my own home, I went to experience a film on the actual big screen. Don’t worry; this was not my first ever trip to the movie theater. However, it’s the first time I’m blogging about it. I spent nine dollars to sit in a musky old auditorium and watch Gerard Butler’s newest release, Playing for Keeps. This is a movie about a retired, washed-up soccer player who tries to right the wrongs he’s made with his son and the one true love of his life.
            You know it’s a bad movie when the screen illuminates the room and you catch yourself rubbing a spot out of your jeans, struggling to pay attention to the movie. Or when you have the urge to get up and sneak into Wreck-it-Ralph instead. In a movie with a super star cast like Valentine’s Day or He’s Just Not That Into You, including Gerard Butler, Jessica Biel, Dennis Quaid, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Uma Thurman, you have to wonder how it could go wrong.
            It’s a bad sign when you have to look up the main character’s name on IMDB after seeing the movie. Gerard Butler plays George Dryer, depicted as a pathetic “has-been.” Considering that Butler’s true breakout role was the heart-melting P.S. I Love You, it’s increasingly difficult to watch our favorite Scottish sweetheart sleep around and flirt with married women. One of my major issues with the film is that George Dryer is a character who’s hard to like. In one scene where he leaves his son at a married woman’s house to go out with her, I questioned whether or not I’m actually rooting for George. I have always loved Butler’s acting, and don’t think the problem lies within his performance. This issue points to the actual writing of Playing for Keeps. Screenwriter Robbie Fox seemed to forget one of Blake Snyder’s golden rules: that a movie always needs to start with a reason to like the main character.
            Then we have Jessica Biel, who is beautiful but somewhat stiff throughout the movie. After she left one of my favorite TV shows of my childhood, Seventh Heaven, because she didn’t like her goody-two-shoes image, I must admit that I’ve never really liked her as an actress. However, even when trying to come up with an unbiased opinion, I still think she lacked heart in her performance. Near the end of the film, when she decides to leave her fiancé and go back to the only man she’s ever loved (Butler), it felt fake to me. Especially in “rom coms” like this one, chemistry between the two leads is extremely important. And when the female lead is making a huge gesture by leaving her husband, we want to be certain that their love justifies her betrayal. Gerard Butler very characteristically brings a big personality to the screen. Yet, Jessica Biel seems unable to react around him, and therefore comes across as reserved when we really want her to finally let go with Butler, something she can’t do with her fiancé. Watching chemistry taint a good idea, Playing for Keeps taught me a fuller appreciation for good casting.
            With a faulty main plotline, an audience can only hope to rely on the tangential plotlines to carry the story. While this is hard to pull off, it can be done with a super star cast such as this. Regrettably, however, this is not the case with Playing for Keeps. Dennis Quaid plays this extremely strange, aggressive soccer dad who we think should be institutionalized after the first thirty seconds he’s on screen. And when he loans his Ferrari to Butler, the viewers find themselves waiting for a motive that is never revealed. I became entirely fed up with his character when Butler had to go bail him out of jail for hitting a man Quaid thought was having an affair with his wife. This becomes too ridiculous for me, and at moments like this I was distracted by that spot on my jeans.
            Then, we have the horny soccer moms. The way in which these women pursuit Butler, when it is so clear he’s not really interested, was one hundred percent unbelievable. While I’ll agree that the soccer-moms-gone-wrong idea is clever, I was quickly annoyed by their side-plots, and disliked Butler for encouraging them. And when the straight-laced landlord ends up with one of these women in one of the last scenes of the movie, I couldn’t help but gag. The Arab landlord turns to Butler and says, “You were right about the accent.” In a moment that was supposed to be funny, the entire theater was silent. And no, I wasn’t the only person there.
            The hardest part about writing a bad review for a movie is that you feel unqualified to be harsh. If any of the people involved with this project read this blog post, I only imagine them saying, “then why don’t you try to do better, see how hard it is.” However, what sitting in the movie theater made me realize was that you don’t have to have seven Oscar nominations to judge whether or not a film was successful. As people got up from there seats at the first sign of the ending credits, I knew that Playing for Keeps was, tragically, a flop.

            MOVIES WATCHED: 11
            SCREENPLAY PAGES WRITTEN: 39
            NOVEL PAGES WRITTEN: 65

No comments:

Post a Comment