Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Call Me Young Grasshopper


            Believe it or not, there are more ways to learn about screenwriting other than watching movies or reading books about “the trade”. Screenwriter John August, famous for his work with Tim Burton on the projects Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, Dark Shadows, and Frankenweenie, makes this possible for everyone with internet access. With his series of “how to” videos on YouTube, August passes his screenwriting knowledge along to us novice viewers. What I liked about his videos, that contrasted the both Christopher Keane’s How to Write a Selling Screenplay and Blake Snyder’s Save the Cat!,  was that they were experiential. When clicking on each of the under-ten-minute tutorials, I watched over August’s shoulder as he edited an already existing scene. Not only did he mesmerize me by the soft typing of his keyboard in the background, but he also helped me visualize the lessons he was teaching.
            In true John August fashion, I edited my own scene as he edited his. Like in his movie Frankenweenie, I saw my own creation transform before my very eyes. Before I reveal my new and improved There’s a Picture., I thought I would give you the directions from point A to point B, Mapquest style. Throughout this process, I have to admit that at times, I pretended like I was on the MTV show, Pimp My Ride.
            In his video entitled “Entering a Scene”, August stresses the importance of starting at the conflict. Or for those of you who secretly love clichés like I do, he told us to “cut to the chase”. Start with action, so to speak! In order to do so, I cut out some of the description and focused more on the characters on screen, particularly in the initial scene description. One point that really stuck out to me in August’s narrative was that the page should represent the pace of the scene. Therefore, for active sequences the description should be “no longer than three lines”, which I tried to adhere to in my revision. Also, I changed lines like “Theresa stares at the flowers in her hands” to “She rearranges the flowers in her hands” because the latter created a more dynamic moment. And August argues that a good movie is made up of dynamic moments all linked together.
            One of the funnier points that August made, but no less true, was that your reader is going to have seen a movie before. What August means by this is that we don’t have to thoroughly explain each development in the plot. Acting upon his advice, I then altered lines like “William holds Harry’s hand, but it doesn’t seem strange”, and “Prince Charles ignores all of their questions”. In doing so, I am relying on the dialogue and more physical descriptions to speak for the story itself. Similarly, August urges us to allow the actors to act. As a result of this advice, lines like “This middle-aged woman is plump and unhappy”, “A look of confusion passes over his face” and “Theresa thinks about saying something, but doesn’t” seemed unnecessary to me.
However, August also implies that while minimal description is best, there still needs to be clarity throughout the script. In order to make sure that I didn’t lose any of my readers, I adjusted the scene so that the day, month, year and place are provided via text on the screen. Because this scene is dependent on a time period—the aftermath of Princess Diana’s tragic accident—, I clued my audience in using this visual technique.
Looking at my scene from the perspective of “the man with the red pen”, I learned that there is still a lot more I need to learn about molding scenes into masterpieces. However, with the help of my new screenwriting pals, Christopher, Blake, and John, (yes, we are officially on a first name basis…), I feel like I’m inching closer towards that point when I get to call myself an official screenwriter.
For those of you who are interested, here lies There’s A Picture., attempt #2. RIP.
THERE’S A PICTURE. SCRIPT

EXT. KENSINGTON PALACE, LONDON -- DAY

SOLDIERS in traditional uniform guard the gates of the palace as thousands of MASCARA-STREAKED FACES lay flowers in front of it, mourning the death of Princess Diana.

Text appears at the bottom of the screen. It reads:

SEPTEMBER 3, 1997. KENSINGTON PALACE.

THERESA, a skinny woman in her early 30s, stands amidst the crowd, timid. The BUSTLE of people around her is especially loud. She rearranges the flowers in her hands, but doesn’t put them down.

A MOTHER scolds her SON and Theresa turns...

               MOTHER
Quit whining. Just take these and set them down for mummy.

The plump, middle-aged woman kneels in front of her son and grabs his chin, forcing the young boy to face her.

               MOTHER
     Go on, don’t be shy now.

She pushes him lightly in the back. Flowers in hand, he steps closer to the gates.

               MOTHER
     Oh poor, poor Diana!

The mother sighs a bit too loudly and covers her face with her hands. A WOMAN behind Theresa points towards the gates.

               WOMAN
     They’re coming! They’re coming this way!

Theresa turns to see FIVE MEN in black suits walking militantly towards them. This is PRINCE CHARLES,
PRINCE WILLIAM, PRINCE HARRY, and TWO BODY GUARDS.

Holding Harry’s hand, William pulls him forward. MEDIA PERSONEL with cameras, microphones, and tape recorders shove passed Theresa. The Soldiers hold them off.

A HYSTERICAL TEENAGE GIRL starts yelling from the crowd...

               GIRL
          I love you!

The crowd ERRUPTS as the princes come to a stop at the gate. Media personnel struggle to slip their microphones passed the soldiers.

               REPORTER #1
     How has this tragedy affected the royal family?

               REPORTER #2
     Why won’t the Queen speak to the public?

               REPORTER #3
     Where is the Queen?

REPORTERS #1, #2, and #3 all speak at once. Prince Charles leans closer to one of the microphones...

               PRINCE CHARLES
I would like to thank you all for your support through this trying time for me and my family.

He steps back from the microphone and waves to the crowd.

ZOOM IN on Prince Harry, staring at all of the flowers. He then grins at the rest of the eager crowd, but it seems out of place. Theresa stands still, watching.

The crowd surges forward, and a mini brawl between the Media and the crowd begins. Cameras are dropped, BREAKING on the sidewalk.

Theresa backs away slowly. Bumps into the boy she saw earlier. He is WAILING, but his Mother is nowhere to be seen.

Theresa reaches the curb. She throws the bouquet into a trashcan and doesn’t look back.
Fade to Black.

            MOVIES WATCHED: 4
            SCREENPLAY PAGES WRITTEN: 16
            NOVEL PAGES WRITTEN: 60
            PAGES LEFT IN MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR
            PECULIAR CHILDREN: 248
            PAGES LEFT IN THE HOURS: 178

No comments:

Post a Comment