Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My Spin in the Director's Chair


            What many people fail to appreciate about a book is the importance of its title. A good title might sound cool, like the chorus to a catchy pop song, but a great title will leave you at the end, going “ohhhh.” In Michael Cunningham’s novel, The Hours, I found myself doing just that. Very simply, his title addresses two major elements of the novel. First, it speaks to the way in which the story is told, over the course of just one day… or twelve hours. Then, “the hours” also reminds us that time is as much a character in this novel as Clarissa or Laura or Virginia. From these three different perspectives, we simultaneously learn how each of these women come to understand their own use of their time, and question if it’s all worthwhile. There’s a lot of weight on a title, and I think The Hours carries it beautifully, all in the hips. A title has to grab the reader’s attention, be easily remembered, and speak to the content of the book. In many ways, “the hours” does this for Michael Cunningham.
            For those of you who noticed, recently I changed the title of this blog. I felt that I needed this title to be more punny, clever. Obviously, I settled on You Had Me at “Fade In” because I wanted the title of my blog to speak to its content in a very Cunningham style, and thought a movie quote connection would be the best way to do so. While playing with some other movie quotes, here are some other title options I came up with that didn’t exactly make the cut…
·      The Big Picture
·      You Had Me at the Fade In
·      You’re Gonna need a longer script
·      If im a writer youre a writer
·      I’ll be back – with a script
·      Life is like a stack of screenplays, never know what you’re        gonna read
·      Writer is as writer does
·      Just keep writing, just keep writing
·      Little Gold Man Named Oscar
·      Why So Serious… about screenplays?
·      May the writing be with you
·      Live long and write screenplays
·      You’ve got a writer in me
·      Hasta la vista, screenwriter
·      You can’t handle the screenplay
·      There’s no place like the movies
·      Show me the screenplay
·      You’re a mean, lean, screenwriting machine!
·      Houston, we have a screenplay
·      Dude, where’s my screenplay?
·      Big Girls Don’t Cry in Movies
·      KEEP CALM AND SCREENWRITE
·      Write, Forest, write!
·      I see dead screenplays
·      Keep your friends close, but your screenwriter closer.
·      Say hello to my little script!
·      A screenplay, shaken, not stirred.
·      Carpe diem, seize the script!
·      The first rule of screenwriting is that you don’t talk about screenwriting
·      Nobody puts a screenwriter in a corner
·      I love the smell of screenplays in the morning
·      I think this is the beginning of a beautiful screenplay
·      How d’ya like dem screenplays?
·      Never let the fear of screenwriting keep you from playing the game
·      Be the screenwriter you wish to see in the world
·      Screenwriting is what happens to you when you’re busy making other plans

Not only did The Hours make me think about titles, but it also made me think about how movies are adapted to screen. After reading and then watching Atonement by Ian McEwan, I feel like some of the page-to-screen transitions are a bit more predictable this time. If I were to place a bet on how director Stephen Daldry morphed Cunningham’s story, I would place my money on the following:
The director will keep the braided narrations in the film because it will keep the audience’s attention in what could very easily, if done wrong, become a boring plot. Daldry will decide not to clue us in, with text on the screen differentiating the three perspectives, because he will want the beginning to be slightly disorienting. Therefore, our time watching the film will be sorting everything out for ourselves, making us a part of the experience. The transitions from one narration to the other will instead occur around a certain object. For example, an object that keeps reappearing throughout the novel is a bouquet of yellow roses. Clarissa, in present day, buys a bunch of these to put in her vase for Richard’s party, while Laura Brown, in 1949, makes yellow roses out of frosting for her husband’s birthday cake. A scene in the movie might flip from Clarissa’s perspective to Laura’s perspective with the use of this common theme.
As we get closer and closer to the end, the scenes from each perspective will get shorter and shorter, similar to the movie, American Beauty. This will help build up to the climax and get the viewer’s heart thumping.
If I were in the mood to take a bigger risk, I’d bet that the movie is going to show Laura Brown’s attempted suicide when the book did not. I think that Stephen Daldry will want to create more action in the film, and so he will invent this scene in order to do so. By incorporating Laura’s suicide, Daldry will also be able to connect that to the suicide of Virginia Woolf that is described in the prologue. Due to the nature of this story, I would bet that Daldry will try to connect the three perspectives in any way that he can so that the audience will see the relevance in every plot point. Daldry will create Laura’s suicide scene to connect Virginia’s time to her time, but also to present day, when her son commits suicide in the very end of the novel.
Speaking of big bets, I think Daldry will slowly reveal Richard’s connection to Laura Brown just as Cunningham in the novel. He will keep this element of the story because it will similarly engage the audience and create that “ohhhh” moment once again.
While these are primarily bets that I would make with nonexistent adversaries, I would also keep these things in mind if I were adapting this book into a movie. When taking a written story and plastering it onto the big screen, you want to try to maintain all of the important themes in the novel, and portray them in an entertaining way. In the same way that Cunningham takes a “trivial” day and makes it into an exhilarating story, I would want to bring The Hours to life on screen.

            MOVIES WATCHED: 7
            SCREENPLAY PAGES WRITTEN: 18
            NOVEL PAGES WRITTEN: 60
            PAGES LEFT IN MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR
            PECULIAR CHILDREN: 170
            THE HOURS: COMPLETED

No comments:

Post a Comment