Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Infamous Rom Com


            With a “war of the worlds” mentality, I have been facing each genre with a Macbook and Microsoft Word, prepared to conquer. The scenes I’ve already written have come from poetry, fiction, nonfiction, real-life experience, comedy, and thriller. However, the one category that I have been able to avoid thus far as been the infamous Chick Flick. Also known as a “rom com”, these are the movies that girls die to watch over and over again, but sound like a branch scratching the side of a car to most of the male species. Despite half of our population’s loathing of this genre, I decided to give the “rom com” a try. Considering that I’m a total suck for the When Harry Met Sally story line, I have to admit that the thought of creating my own seemed like an exciting challenge to me, as opposed to a harrowing one.
            Also, I didn’t have the steady hand of Christopher Keane, Blake Snyder, or Peter Hanson to walk me through it. To be honest, after writing this scene I realized that I want another go. The words felt familiar on my fingers, especially since the “rom com” genre is the one that I have the most personal experience with. This urge to try again, do better, that’s prevalent, now reminds me why I’m doing any of this in the first place; because I love to write. In his book, Save the Cat!, Blake Snyder often advises budding screenwriters to write for the genre that they enjoy watching the most. My desire to do better the next time forces me to make a next time. So although I’m still exploring the different genres that screenwriting has to offer, I’d really like to dive a bit deeper into the chaotic world of “rom coms”.
            As for my first attempt, here is a scene that I wrote to introduce the audience to the two leading roles of this story, and also mark the moment when both of their lives would dramatically change.
SCENE ON A PLANE

INT. PLANE – EVENING

DANA sits on a crowded, commercial flight to Hong Kong, wearing sweatpants and a baseball t-shirt. She is sitting in the middle of a five-seat row, and looks uncomfortable. To her right, an ASIAN MAN in his fifties SNORES loudly. TYLER sits to her left, tall and handsome, TAPPING an iPad screen.

Dana tries to lean back, but isn’t comfortable. She fidgets in her seat, but still can’t sit still. ZOOM IN on Tyler’s elbows, sitting on both armrests.

               DANA
You know, it’s common courtesy to only use one of your armrests, just so you know.

          TYLER
     (amused)
Thanks, I love being kept up to date on the latest airplane etiquette.

Tyler returns to scrolling up and down on his iPad. Dana HARUMPHS.
          TYLER (CONT’D)
Or were you expecting some form of modern-day chivalry?

          DANA
     (mutters)
Something like that.

The snoring man slumps onto Dana’s shoulder, and she GROANS. Tyler LAUGHS.

               DANA
     Just great, that’s just great.

Beat. Man SNORES loudly, and Tyler LAUGHS again. Then, the intercom turns on and A FLIGHT ATTENDANT begins to speak.

               FLIGHT ATTENDANT (O.S.)
We will be arriving at the Hong Kong International Airport in just a few hours. On behalf of the Captain and the Crew, I’d like to thank you all for choosing United Airlines, and we hope to see you again soon.

Dana tries to push the man upright, but he slumps back down on her again. Tyler LAUGHS a second time.

               DANA
     You think this is funny?

Tyler stops laughing.

               TYLER
     I think we got off on the wrong foot.

He lifts his arm to shake hers, but she quickly slips her elbow under his, claiming the armrest. Tyler pushes his hair back with the hand that awkwardly hung in the air moments before.

               TYLER
     Tyler.

He drops his hand onto his thigh, giving up on the handshake altogether.

               DANA
     Dana.

She smiles, and with that, Dana and Tyler call an unspoken “truce”. Tyler drops his tray table and sets his pillow on top of it.

               TYLER
     Here, try this.

Dana lays her head on the pillow, and before she can say anything, she falls asleep.

CUT TO:

INT. PLANE – LATER THAT EVENING

Dana wakes up, looking into Tyler’s eyes. Startled, she sits up quickly. Tyler takes another sip of his drink, and extends his arm towards her.

               TYLER
     Tyler.

Dana looks confused, but shakes his hand anyways.

               DANA
     You mentioned that.

               TYLER
Sorry, it’s the booze. I like to drink when a plane hits turbulence.

Dana looks up and sees the seatbelt sign FLASHING. She CLICKS hers in place.

               DANA
     You afraid of flying?

Tyler SCOFFS.

               TYLER
     I’m not afraid of anything, just, nervous.

Dana is the one to LAUGH this time.

               DANA
     You’re totally scared right now.

               TYLER
     Am not.

               DANA
     Are too.

               TYLER
     I feel like I’m back in the first grade.

Dana smiles, stops. She leans back in her chair, shifting away from the armrest.

               DANA
     Here, you need it more than I do.

Tyler is reluctant at first, but finally reclaims the armrest, smug.

               TYLER
How do you know that wasn’t a ploy to get the armrest back?

          DANA
Because you’re sweating bullets.

Tyler wipes at his forehead with his sleeve, and Dana CHUCKLES.

               TYLER
          (grinning)
     How’s the old man treating you?

Dana pushes the SNORING man one more time, but he still won’t wake up, and slumps back onto her shoulder.

CUT TO:

INT. PLANE – DAY

The flight attendant pokes both Dana and Tyler on the shoulder with her long, fake nails. They both squint, slowly opening their eyes, before they realize that they are the only two passengers left on the plane.

Dana sits up straight, and Tyler scrambles to his feet to get a black briefcase from the overhead compartment.

               FLIGHT ATTENDANT
     Welcome to Hong Kong.

Dana jumps across the aisle and peers out of a window to see the city’s skyline in the distance. Then, she starts walking towards the front of the plane.

               TYLER
     Forgetting something?

Tyler holds up a green backpack, which Dana runs back for, snatching it from his grip.

               DANA
     Thanks for reminding me.

               TYLER
How do you know this wasn’t a ploy to get you to talk to me again?

                DANA
          (over her shoulder)
     I don’t.

Tyler follows Dana off the plane.

FADE TO BLACK.

            MOVIES WATCHED: 9
            SCREENPLAY PAGES WRITTEN: 35
            NOVEL PAGES WRITTEN: 65
            PAGES LEFT IN MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR
            PECULIAR CHILDREN: 170

No comments:

Post a Comment