Saturday, December 1, 2012

My Ears like Movies Too


            I regret to inform you all, but like Briony in Ian McEwan’s Atonement, I too have made a terrible mistake. In my literary “sprint” to finish the novel, I seemed to have skipped over the most important part of the conclusion. In just one paragraph, McEwan snaps his fingers and creates an entirely different ending in the novel’s last breath. And this was the paragraph I ran my finger through, without actually taking in what was being said. I only discovered my error after finishing the film, when Briony admits to imagining the happy ending to the novel she’d written about her life, and that in fact, the two people she had wronged, her sister Cecelia and Robbie, the man she falsely accused of rape, both died in WWII. The scene that I discussed in my last blog post as being the “second climax” was revealed to be a lie; that resolution was never reached.
            And of course, the one paragraph I happen to skip over makes me rethink the entire book. In the aftermath of her initial crime, you can tell that Briony is scrambling to make it right. She works as a nurse as a form of self-punishment, writes a letter to Cee, and sees Robbie’s face in the faces of all the wounded soldiers she meets. However, by the alternative ending that I just discovered, McEwan makes the point that even one’s best intentions to right a wrong can fail. It left me thinking about the phrase, what’s done is done, which made me sad but was extremely powerful as well. I think her eventual admittance of the truth here complimented the earlier events of the story very well, and also made me think about the fine line we must draw between what we wish to believe and what is true.
            After watching the movie, I have to say that I have a much greater appreciation for the book. The faster pace of the movie kept my interest more steadily, and therefore helped me realize the strength of McEwan’s intricate plot. When Keane asks us what form our story would fit best into in his book How to Write a Selling Screenplay, I believe the correct answer for McEwan was screenplay instead of novel.
            The dreamy face of the movie that truly made me fall in love with it was the attention to sound that the director had when creating it. If McEwan had included some of these sounds into his novel, perhaps with a contraption like the singing Hallmark greeting cards, I would have enjoyed reading it more. In all seriousness, the sounds in this movie had me in awe. In the very first scene, we see Briony sitting at a desk, typing up the story that frames the first one hundred and forty pages of the novel. The loud clicking of the keys rings like music, and becomes a theme that is carried out throughout the movie. After Briony’s finished the last page, she pulls it from the typewriter and marches off to show it to Emily, her mother. The sound of the clicking keys matches her footsteps and grabbed my attention due to its uniqueness. These clicking sounds come up in many other scenes in the movie and serve as a transition from one perspective to another. For example, when we switch to Briony’s perspective at the hospital where she is nursing the wounded soldiers, the scene begins with the now familiar clicking of typewriter keys and a line of nurses militantly walking towards us. This scene made me wish I had seen the movie in theaters; I cannot even begin to imagine the effect this would have on the big screen with surround sound.
            Similarly, in the pivotal scene where Briony watches an argument Cecilia and Robbie have from her bedroom window, a bee buzzes against the glass. We zoom in on this bee before the scene below comes in to view. The smallness of this buzzing bee made me think about how small one perspective can be, a theme stressed throughout the novel and film.
            In addition to the sound quality, I thought that this movie greatly succeeded at conveying the inner thoughts of each character that were so thoroughly explained in the book. In simple scenes, we are able to know exactly how the character in question was feeling without having to be told. For example, in the scene that Briony witnessed from her window, Cecilia jumps into the fountain in order to retrieve a piece of her vase that Robbie accidentally broke off. She emerges from the water, soaked, and storms away from Robbie. Then the camera focuses on Robbie, sitting on the edge of the fountain, putting his hand against the surface of the water from which Cecilia just sprung out of. In one moment, we discover Robbie’s feelings for Cecilia and feel as though we are intruding on an intimate moment. In my opinion, I thought this was much more effective than the lengthy description found in McEwan’s story.
            I also thought Joe Wright, the director of this film who deserves to be recognized, translated McEwan’s rapid transition of perspectives beautifully. With so many different viewpoints that McEwan brings up, I can only imagine the difficulty that this creates when trying to capture them all on film. However, Wright is able to delicately separate them with the use of his attention to detail. A moment in which I thought he did this particularly well was when Robbie rang the doorbell in black tuxedo, arriving to the dinner party that would ultimately change his life. After the ding of the doorbell, we cut to Briony telling her cousin, Lola, about the letter that Robbie had bestowed to her to give to her sister, Cecilia. In a scene of intense whispering, Lola accuses Robbie of being a “sex maniac”, a conclusion they made that later convinces Briony she saw Robbie raping Lola. Following this conversation, we hear the doorbell ring again and cut to Robbie, unsure of whether he should attend the dinner party or not. This loop in time that Wright creates clearly explained to the audience that these events were occurring at the same time.
            Compared to the book, the movie portrayed Paul Marshall as a much more obvious suspect. In a scene where Marshall gives Lola a piece of chocolate and tells her to bite it, the camera lingers a second too long on Marshall’s face and we are immediately aware of his desire to seduce Lola. In the movie, he repeats these instructions multiple times with a sense of urgency that made me recognize the creepiness of the situation. In the book, I didn’t stop to think twice about the scene, and was later shocked to discover that he was the “true” criminal. This film’s attention to small details like this is what made me think of it as a work of art, as opposed to just a two-hour source of entertainment. There was something beautiful in the way Wright was able to tell so much by saying so little, and I admire him for it.
            MOVIES WATCHED: 3
            SCREENPLAY PAGES WRITTEN: 12
            NOVEL PAGES WRITTEN: 48
            PAGES LEFT IN HOW TO WRITE A SELLING
            SCREENPLAY: 235
            PAGES LEFT IN MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR
            PECULIAR CHILDREN: 260

No comments:

Post a Comment